Monday, January 14, 2013

More Changes

       I know, I know. I missed posting yesterday. (I hate missing a day!) I did have a good reason, though. I actually showed up to a book club meeting. Ha!

       Buzzy has been worrying me for about the last month. Well, more than usual. He has been eating terribly and causing me a lot of frustration. It's not that he's eating things that are unhealthy - it's more like his already limited diet is becoming even more limited. There were some days where the only things he ate were cereals and fruits. No meat. Which was driving me crazy. He was eating hot dogs, but I was buying crappy ones, and I felt really guilty. And he was looking a little pink around his eyes and getting what looked like allergic shiners.

       I still have no definite idea what caused them, except maybe the crappy hot dogs or the chocolate (GFCF chocolate, but still chocolate). But they have definitely diminished the last few days.

       We found a grocery store that carries quite an extensive array of GFCF foods, which is awesome. I wish it were closer. I wouldn't have even been motivated if it hadn't been for a fellow blogger, whose son has apraxia and she went over what her son ate every day. All I have to say is that Applegate Naturals makes some pretty awesome stuff. We got organic 100% beef hot dogs, salami, chicken nuggets, and turkey patties. I know Buzzy will eat the first two things (he already has). I am hoping he will also eat the latter two. I also got some hemp protein powder, which I will be putting into smoothies and having him drink part of as well. I will worry about getting veggies into him later. And I bought some chicken links (breakfast sausage). I didn't get a chance to see if he will eat those, yet.

       We are still waiting to hear about the poop. I wish his doctor up north would get back to us so we can schedule another appointment. Hmmm. I feel like I have said that before!

       ABA continues to go well. I am so happy with Skill Sprout. I hope I continue to be as happy.

       Buzzy has been doing well with requesting things. I have even been using the phrase "use your words" and I think he may understand what I am asking of him. Of course, it's usually when he's thinking of throwing a tantrum, so it may not always get me results.

       I also quit giving him colored tablets to use in his bath. I wish I hadn't, but they had lactose in them, along with all the artificial dyes. I bought them for him to use as a stocking stuffer, and didn't realize they were quite nasty. I knew about the dyes, of course, but with his number of tantrums increasing a bit, I figured it was time to stop using them. I might give them as a rare treat, but we will see. It's amazing all of the artificial garbage they put in things. Amazing, disgusting, and frustrating.

       All I can say, is if you told me 3 years ago I would be shelling out $17+ for an organic chicken, I would have sworn and then laughed. But, I have really turned into one of those label-reading crunchy granola type moms. I am not sorry about the change, and I know we will all be better off for it.

6 comments:

  1. About the $17 organic chicken: it's not that expensive if you think how many meals you can get from it! One meal from the meat; one more from the bits and pieces you can put into soup or chicken salad that next day; then one more by making a pot of chicken stock. Not a meal, per se, but much less expensive that packaged chicken stock!

    So, as long as you use ALL of it, it averages out. Start collecting vegetable cuttings (peels, ends, etc) and throw them into a bag in the freezer. Whenever you have a chicken, toss the carcass and the bag of veggie bits into a put, cover with water, add salt and pepper. Simmer for 3-4 hours, then strain and freeze!

    Glad to hear you're starting to feel some communication with him. That's so great.

    xo
    ACB

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACB - yes, we do try to use the all the parts now (we never made stock before, until now!), but it does take 2 of those to feed all 6 of us.

    I am ashamed to say we don't really have much in the way of veggie peelings to add to the pot. We need to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are colored tablets? You (or I) can make him some bath bombs if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - they are just little tablets that turn the bath water colors. Blue, red, and yellow, but the yellow is kinda sick when you think about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! well check out recipes for bath bombs. Basically just baking soda and citric acid, pretty simple and no lactose. If you wanted to add colors you could do food coloring but I am not sure if they'd stain your tub...remind me the next time you order and I'll include one for you to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lisa! I know I used something big like this once (about a year ago) and Buzzy freaked out about it. It was too big and too fizzy. Perhaps he will handle it better now that he's older!

    ReplyDelete