Sunday, January 20, 2013

Here we go!

I was puttering around the house the other day, composing an awesome blog post in my head. And it was something more profound than "I am waiting for poop test results". And yet, here I am now, and I have nothing witty to say and nothing profound to write. I guess by the time I am "allowed" on the computer, I am too worn out to dig very deep and writing something that doesn't suck. Ha ha. 

Buzz is still obsessing with vacuums, cords, electrical outlets, and the like. He is still talking about the vacuum and how it broke the light. And how it ate his pants. He has added "gross" followed by one of the family members' names - usually baby. And he will look in the pantry and point to all the cereals he can't eat and say "gross yuck". I had to train him to do that. We don't want him to want to eat those cereals, or to even want them, so it appears my teaching has worked. [The only reason we have those cereals is because my sister works for General Mills and she got them for us.]

He has started to nod and to say "no". And I continue to struggle with myself when I hear about kids his age and what they are saying and doing and how far from that ability level it feels like he is. I have decided to tell myself as long as he is caught up by kindergarten, his chances are good to lead a "normal" life, whatever that may be. That usually makes me feel better. I know it beats where I was even 4 months ago. 

We are also experiencing a lot of echolalia here. I sometimes imagine what my day would be like if Buzzy were developing age appropriately, and to be honest, it's like a blank, black image. It has been so long since I have had a child his age and I just don't remember what it was like. I have no perspective. 

Okay, well now that I have that out of the way, it's time to talk POOP. We finally got the results in the mail! Once I started reading it, I was wondering what went wrong, because the results were so normal. Mostly. He had absolutely no evil bacteria present. Small amounts of "commensal" bacteria - those which are neither beneficial nor pathogenic, and a good amount of expected and beneficial bacteria. He was low on Bifidobacterium, though. And the weird part - he had absolutely no Lactobacillus and Enterococcus. I am wondering if those latter two flourish when you have a measurable dairy intake. Or if his system is just really bizarre. 

Yeast - none found. No parasites. No protozoans  (I would have died if he had parasites. I hate anything resembling worms, unless it's earthworms or other innocent worms. Maggots and lavae make me insane, though.)

All the other tests fell within the normal ranges, except for secretory IgA. That was low. And from all appearances (based on my consultations with Dr. Google) leads to many of the issues we are seeing with Buzzy. Low IgA contributes to the whole leaky gut idea. So, I suppose it's amazing that Buzzy doesn't have more issues and isn't sick more, since his immune system isn't doing what it's supposed to doing at the most fundamental level. 

We have an appointment on Thursday to go over these results and the ones from Buzzy's blood tests. I know they will recommend a more focused probiotic (I am hoping it's the one I already bought and am using on him - which I bought before I got the test results). Also, I am guessing they will recommend a glutamine supplement. So, we will see about that and what else they might suggest. I am sure there will be at least more thing to supplement him with. 

I am still kind of surprised at the results, though. I thought Buzzy would be over-run with yeast and have oodles of nasty bacteria in him. In fact, I did a double-take when I saw the initial test results. I guess the Buzz is full of all kinds of surprises! 

I may not do an update until after his appointment on Thursday, unless I have a lot to say about this week. So, either Wednesday or Thursday I will have an update. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay for poop results! And yay for me figuring out how to post comments on here. I really appreciate the time you take to explain things on this blog. It helps me understand your experiences so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa!

      I really need to get some video of him so that I can compare and also to more easily see progress.

      Delete