Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Moving Forward

       Buzzy continues to make progress with verbalizing things, which has me very excited. He said "Elmo" the other day when he was working on an Elmo puzzle with his DV therapist. And that was only after hearing it a few times. We don't watch too much television here and he's never seen Sesame Street, but his clear use of the word has me thinking I should get him some kind of Elmo toy. He also says "baby cry" when the baby is crying. And sometimes when she isn't. And sometimes he uses when he's made her cry. I'll take it.

       His eye contact has improved a lot lately, as well. He and I were having a stare down earlier in the day when he was trying to go upstairs. (Baby was napping and upstairs was strictly off-limits, and he knew it.) I told him no, fully expecting him to go right up there. He paused and looked right at me. We had a staring contest, and then he actually came downstairs. It was amazing. He also got scolded tonight at dinner for throwing a mild tantrum and he started at daddy and quit kicking and being obnoxious. He even let me read to him during the day. Granted it wasn't much (_The Very Hungry Caterpillar_), but that was something he hasn't done in a loooong time. I felt if he had his weighted blanket he would have let me read even more.

       Alas, the beginning of the week wasn't as productive. I mentioned how Sunday I was trying to get some stool collected. I had his parts bagged. And he didn't poop. So, Monday I bagged the boy bits again and waited. And waited. And waited. And checked the bag. It leaked. I replaced the bag. And waited. And waited. I had him sit on the potty and waited. The bag leaked. And at around 2 in the afternoon, I gave up. No pooping (which for him is rare) and every time I checked the bag, it had leaked. So, I was in a foul mood, realizing that we would have to wait until the weekend to do the collection. I am not even sure how I am going to do that, either. The best idea I can come up with is to attempt potty training over the weekend and collect my samples that way. Oh, and pray they don't get urine on them. I'm open for suggestions. That, or I need to figure out how to use the pee bags so that they work. Ugh.

       We also are making progress with the service dog, which I am stoked about. We got an email to give them a call for an interview on the phone. I called them this morning and once they get our two references and the doctor's note, we can move forward. I am relieved. I was worried we might get turned down. I know where the references are, and we are seeing his doctor tomorrow, so I will ask how that is coming along. After they get those things, we will get sent a packet. Once we complete that, it is roughly an 11 month wait time to get a dog placed with us. Progress feels good.

       We still haven't heard back about ABA. I am being patient, but I will call next week to check in if we haven't heard anything.

       I am looking forward to getting his goodies that OT ordered for him, as well. He is going to get a cuddle swing, a weighted blanket (the one we have is on loan from his awesome OT), something called an EduCube, and a weighted vest. Those are supposed to come right to the house, so I have been on the lookout for packages. Well, more packages, anyhow. We have been doing all of our Christmas shopping on Amazon. And ordered our GFCF foods from Amazon. And his vitamins from there as well. UPS, Fed-Ex, and the USPS are sure getting a workout from us.

       I am just grateful overall for the all of the therapies that exist and the information that I am able to get to best help Buzzy. If I had to have an autistic child, I am grateful that it wasn't until now. I am more mature, definitely have a stable life and household, and so much more is known now than 10 years ago. I can do more now and I can do it better. I would rather Buzzy not be autistic at all, but I am so much better equipped to handle it now at 33 years old than I was when I had my first at 20. It's the little things, right?

3 comments:

  1. Good news about the dog, I was hoping you'd get approved for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is great! And yes...it is the little things. More awareness about Autism is such a plus, and your own personal ability to handle it is huge. Buzzy is so lucky to have you for a mom - you are so strong and such a great advocate for him. :)

    ReplyDelete