Sunday, December 23, 2012

2 Nights Before Christmas

       My husband is officially on vacation for a few days here from school and so are the older ones. So, I am just going to do to quick update. I am not sure how much I will be saying on Wednesday, either. I have a girl turning 13 on that day. So, the holidays are always busy around here, more than usual.

       We got the results of Buzzy's blood work in the mail the other day. His level of creatinine was flagged for being lower than is usual. I am not sure what significance that has, even after I consulted Doctor Google. Also, his "alkaline phos" was flagged as being high. Again, I am not even sure what that is (I guessed alkaline phosphatase) and I sure as heck don't know the significance of it being high. He also is heterozygous for the A1298C MTHFR mutation. I know a little about what that means. I am not terribly surprised at his MTHFR status, but I am glad he is hetero for it and that it's not the C677T mutation.

       When we get the results back from his stool samples, then I will call the doctor and we will discuss the next steps we need to take. I am really, really, really interested in those findings.

       We are still giving the shots and the vitamins and everything else. The shots are going a lot better since I was told about a device called the "shot blocker". It's a little plastic thing with dull teeth on the underside that you press against the skin as you give the shot. It's supposed to trick the nerves. It worked pretty well the first time we used it. We haven't had a chance to use it again yet, his next shot is on Christmas Eve. Ho, ho, ho.

       We are also (or we were) trying potty training. Yesterday went really well with only a few pee accidents (but all poop accidents). Today was not as successful. I am not sure he even understands what the potty is for. By about 4 pm we put him back in diapers. Sigh.

       Also, we are all set to hear from the people to get ABA started this week. I am really looking forward to that. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do for him.

       We have had a couple of set-backs this week with diet. Buzzy has gotten into certain girls' rooms and eaten some illicit candy. I get so frustrated sometimes trying to make sure everyone just does the simplest things: like keep their rooms locked. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in the house this matters to. I know that's not the case, but Buzzy's diet is so important. I know we will get there, but I wish my girls could understand why it's so important.

       On one final note: A very Merry Christmas to all my readers!




4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and Christmas eve! Potty training was hit and miss for us for a while too. If he successfully poops in the potty is really dependent on the day still and we've been at it for a couple months now. I have no idea what all the test results mean, but hopefully the fact that you have them will give a clear plan for how to move forward and you can start seeing some more progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. Potty training went really well the first the day, and just went downhill from there - with each day getting less and less successful. We tried for 3 days and then just gave up. Especially once when we put him on the potty and he went a few drops, and then he walked downstairs and within 3 minutes peed all over the floor. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting caught up and let me tell you - we had PT FAIL this week. So he's back in diapers today at daycare. Hopefully we both will have better luck in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany - hope you see some PT success soon!

    ReplyDelete