Monday, March 3, 2014

I will never tire

This title means a lot of things to me.

What I had in mind at first, is that I will never tire of hearing my sweet baby, Gabriella talk. Today, as she held out her sippy cup she told me, "I need milk in it."

My heart melts every time she speaks. The adorable way she crinkles her nose and says, "Nooo!" (and the slightly demonic voice that accompanies it). When she says, "Go away, Buzzy". When I try to pick her nose and she tells me, "Those my bogies!". I will never get tired of hearing her speak, watching her develop, and watching her grow - as she should. As all children should.

But some kids don't get that chance. How sweet it feels with Gabriella, it is sometimes equally as bitter to watch Preston struggle.

Our neurologist appointment went well. He *listened* to us. He didn't criticize what we were doing. He told us we were doing a good job (which felt good). There was also a medical student in there as well. It was good for him to see real patients who were trying "alternative" treatments and having success in treating autism. All in all, it was a wonderful appointment. Our plan is in a few weeks we are going to get a sedated MRI done up north, followed by a 23 hour EEG. Which includes sleep. Which this doctor said was VERY IMPORTANT.

Did you hear that Dr. Rothman? And the crappy doctors/nurses at OSF Peoria? Autism IS reason enough to warrant this. And, puberty is another time we have to watch out for, because kids that weren't having seizures before, might start getting them at that point. Thank God for GOOD doctors. And Dr. Michael Smith at Rush in Chicago is one of them.

Which brings me to the other meaning of this post's title.

I will never tire of trying to find ways to improve Preston's life. To help him be the best he can be. To help his with his medical issues. Not to "change" him. Not to "fix" him, but to help him be happy and healthy. And there are some days when I am tired and I need a mental break. And I do that. And then when I am ready, I jump right back in the ring and start swinging. For all of the hard work Preston does every day at school and his therapies, I owe him that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment