Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

Yesterday one of the other mom's in Buzzy's class asked if the kids should wear their Halloween costumes. The teachers said that would be great. I wondered if I would be able to get Buzzy in his Buzz Lightyear costume, and was kind of surprised the other moms didn't seem to think it was a big deal that their kids would willingly wear their costumes. (Hang tight with me, I am getting somewhere. And I promise there is a point to all of this.)

Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised this morning when my early riser (7:15 or so) willingly put on his costume, head covering included. He pulled the head thing off not too long later, but I was expecting that to happen.

Anyhow, when we get there, there were plenty of kids in costume, just none in his class. Buzz even let me put his head thing back on him. Twice. And then I felt really sad for the other moms, whose kids' costumes were in a heap with their backpacks and whatnot. Autism really sucks.

I even channeled my "super mom" and made GFCF dye free treat bags for the kids in his class as well. I had a fruit rope in there, two cookies, and a bag of sour beans. I had enough for one extra bag - and that went to the baby. Alas, it looks like mom doesn't get a treat bag this year.

I am dying to try to get together with these other moms. Their kids are also GFCF. The boy in Buzzy's class had a birthday party we were invited to and I was so excited to go and get to know this mom, but then the boy got a fever and she cancelled the party. And said it would be rescheduled and she would let me know. Well, it's past the time she said it would be held at, so my guess is the cancellation is permanent. Maybe I should hold a small holiday party here for the kids in his class. They probably won't want to drive out all this way, but it's worth a shot, I guess. I would really like to talk to them and see if they are in any parent groups. I need to meet other autism moms. I will keep trying till I find someone in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment