Saturday, July 13, 2013

Neurologist Appointment

A while back I had tried to get Buzzy in to see a neurologist that was "local" to us. (About 30 minutes away, but that's as good as it gets when you live where we do.)

I was informed that the nurse, after looking at his records and his history, felt he didn't need to be seen.

Excuse me?

And then, well, f*ck you, state of Illinois. I then looked again at the list of doctors some ladies on a special needs FB group posted, and selected a neurologist in St. Louis. I made a phone call and...

GOT AN APPOINTMENT.

Can I talk for a moment about how 30% children with autism have a seizure disorder? And that the VERY definition of autism (at least in its current form) is that it is a "neurological condition"? Hmm. Wouldn't you think then, a NEUROLOGIST would be the best person then to, perhaps, look at an autistic child?

Anyhow, on Tuesday we took Buzzy to the neurologist. Overall, it was a good experience. The doctor had no use for our special diet and the vitamins and the B12 shots, but conceded that we were his parents and it was our decision to do thus. He also said he didn't see any sign of seizure activity, but that he would acquiesce to an EEG for an hour to see if there was anything going on. He also suggested an MRI - should any gross heritable abnormality influence our decision for subsequent offspring.

He also suggested that he didn't think Buzzy had autism.

All I can say is that Buzzy was diagnosed with autism in November. And I wasn't surprised. He has gotten better, but there are still some really oddball things that he does. And he is still delayed in speech. He can request things very well, but he has no imagination and still can't answer "w" questions, and even some simple "yes/no" questions. But, that a neurologist feels the label no longer applies to him makes me feel like we are continuing to move in the right direction.

After a bit of discussion on the ride home, we decided to go ahead with the EEG, but not the MRI since the MRI would have to be done under general sedation, while the EEG wouldn't have to be. I think I scheduled the EEG for August 2nd, but I got a mysterious phone call from them Friday, so I suspect that appointment will change. (The guy I talked to on the phone when I made the appointment sounded really confused, so I am not too surprised.)

Autism camp continues to go well.

Parasite cleaning continues.

We fight on.

No comments:

Post a Comment