Tuesday, March 26, 2013

More Progress

Buzzy's speech evaluation from a few weeks ago went okay. I had the distinct feeling that the woman felt like I was wasting her time. She said he didn't need as much therapy as I was interested in getting and even asked if I still wanted to do the evaluation. After dragging my kids there and walking across their huge parking lot (and it was freezing outside) and walking up a flight of stairs and through their gym (like, sweaty people exercising kind if gym) to get to the speech room, I was NOT going to say no.

Needless to say, I was annoyed.

But at the end, I got his results. And once I came home, I calculated some things. So, I will just paste my "findings" here.

In October, I calculated him to have a 68% delay in expressive speech and a 64% delay in receptive. Today he has a 20% delay in receptive and a 10% delay in receptive. He wouldn't even qualify for EI with those numbers - they need to be 30%. That's if the tests are accurate. I suppose they are. I am happy to see such great progress.

I wrote that to a friend. And I am still excited to see how much better he is doing.

As for his allergies, I spoke with the PA. She said to cut out everything that was a 2 or 3 on the IgG list. Anything that was a 1 was okay to leave in. After some finagling, I was able to find a substitute for his beloved fish oil that didn't have salmon. It doesn't have as many omegas in it, but it doesn't have salmon and I am able to still mix his Super Nu-Thera in it without him having a fit, so it's all good.

We are still waiting on the urine test results. The doctor should get them this week. Which means maybe I will get them next week.

The baby and I will be able to get established as new patients in mid-May. I just made that appointment today. I guess I was dumb for thinking that we would be able to get in over Spring Break (which is next week). When I heard the scheduler flipping through pages for about a minute I knew it wasn't going to be good. Sigh.

We have also been making progress on the potty training front - as long as he is naked from the waist down (socks are okay). He has been doing great on the potty with both poop and pee - and even more significant - telling us he needs to go.

So, we have added to his elimination diet and we are continuing his supplements and continuing to make progress. He is sometimes using 4 word sentences without prompting. His speech is getting clearer - especially if we help him practice words. I am happy with the progress he is making.

Now if it would just warm up here, we could go outside once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment