Saturday, February 9, 2013

A real post!

       We have been put through the wringer here, lately. I finally came down with this terrible cold. The last few nights I've had to sleep in a recliner and my sleep wasn't all that restful.

       Anyhow, I last mentioned I was reading this book The Myth of Autism.


       And a lot of the things he says in his book make complete sense to me. I have always felt that autism was NOT a psychiatric condition. And that its designation as such makes no sense to me. I have felt it was more properly categorized as a medical condition. And, as such, could be treated (and dare I say it?) cured.

       He also makes the point that it's not normal to have a child that is meeting all their milestones at 12, 18, or 24 months and then they stop developing or they regress. Which is also something I've said and been thinking. How can it be normal? If its evidence is not present from birth, how can you suddenly develop it?

       He also points out the differences between what he refers to as "autism" and "classical" (or Kanner's) autism. And he makes the point that they are different disease states. In classical autism, the child has NEVER been affectionate. Ever. 

       The doctor who wrote this book treats children with autism. He feels its caused by a breakdown of the immune system which affects neurodevelopment. He thinks the body (and brain) are being overrun by a form of herpes virus and that its damage can be reversed. 

       The first thing I saw in the book when I opened it to read it was a set of images (called a neuroSPECT) which measured brain blood flow in an autistic child. It literally looked like there were holes in the brain. In other words, places where there was zero blood flow. It was, most notably, in the temporal lobes. Fascinating. And then there were the after scans, images where the blood flow looked remarkably (but not entirely) restored. And with that restoration, came amazing improvements in the child. 

       I am not unhappy with Buzzy's current treatments. But, I want more for him. And I want to know that I have exhausted every avenue available to me. So, I called Dr. Goldberg's office. We received the new patient packet Monday. By Friday morning I had it completed and had records request forms faxed back out to 4/5 of Buzzy's doctors/therapists. (One sent his records without the form - because they weren't a doctor, so I guess it wasn't needed). The final one, the doctor's office was closed on Friday. So, I emailed them. 

       I am praying we can get a good time for his first appointment. This doctor is right outside of LA. Yes, Los Angeles. We are wanting to arrange a time when I can fly out there alone with Buzzy and stay for as long as we are needed (a few days at the most) and then fly home. To say that the thought of navigating LA by myself is terrifying would be an understatement. But, I am focusing on one thing at a time. First, we make sure they have all the records, then we get the appointment. Then, we will worry about the rest. Ha!

       There are some definite contradictions in the two treatments - Dr. Goldberg treats NIDS (neuro-immune dysfunction syndrome) and feels that some of the treatments that biomed/integrative medicine doctors do are detrimental. He finds the excessive supplementation a bad idea, along with chelation. Well, in terms of chelation - not just bad but potentially dangerous and damaging. I am sure integrative medicine doctors wouldn't like Goldberg's use of SSRIs in the later stages of treatment. I am not sure how I feel about that, either. Same with chelation - I am not sure how I feel about it. Sometimes I think it's a good idea, sometimes I just don't know. 

       That being said, both approaches start with the same thing: change the diet. And since we haven't gotten too far into the supplementation plan, I am comfortable with trying to take what I feel are the best ideas from both approaches. It's all I can do.

       I called Buzzy's biomed doctor to get his allergy testing taken care of. We have the prescription already. We are now waiting on the kit to come in the mail. Once the kit arrives we will go to the local hospital and have his blood drawn. The kit tests for 96 IgG allergies and 12 IgE ones. (I may have those numbers reversed.) I think those results will be interesting. 

       We also have an appointment with a geneticist for March 22nd. That will be here before we know it. I feel like we are going to get a better picture of what to do for Buzzy with all of this additional information. I also have full intention of getting him an MRI and EEG. I want to know as much as possible. Knowledge is power, as they say.

       I still intend on doing a post about what Buzzy's therapies look like. Unless something ground-breaking happens, I will do that on Wednesday. (I am taking Sunday off.)

       So, for right now, I am happy with the direction we are moving in. We still have tantrums. We still have echolalaia. And verbal perseveration. But we also have a loving, sweet boy who loves to give hugs and kisses to his sister (especially his baby sister) and everyone else. And who is doing awesome with learning his letters and numbers and is doing great at ABA. And loves to play chase with his older sisters and loves to climb the stairs and lure the baby up after him. He is fun and playful - and I really want to get to know him. He wouldn't be where he is right now without the diet and treatments, so we will keep pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment